Home

Monday, April 28, 2014

One Thousand Gifts (continued)

When He saw the crowds, He had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into His harvest field'" 
(Matthew 9:36-38)


I had another visit at the jail today.  This time I went without Paul, which I have to admit, was a tad bit out of my comfort zone to say the least.
Again, like last time, (http://parentsforpurity.blogspot.ca/2014_03_01_archive.html), I was awestruck at the brokenness surrounding me.
However, this time it felt different.
My heart was breaking for the little two year old behind me in line, whose mother was hoping he'd have some physical contact with whoever they were visiting.
My heart was breaking for the mother and daughter in front of me who were visiting their son and brother.
My heart was breaking for the woman who looked so lost and confused because the person she was supposed to visit didn't show up.
My heart was breaking for those who feel so alone, so helpless, and so angry (I saw few angry people there today).
My heart was breaking for our friend who is so eager to be released from his prison cell and is counting down the days.
My heart was breaking for our friend who doesn't know where he'll even be living when he is released.
My heart was breaking for those hundreds of inmates who are living in darkness and for all who are like lost sheep without a shepherd.

I was reminded of the words from a song by Hillsong United:

Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like you have loved me
Break my heart from what breaks yours 
Everything I am for your kingdoms cause


Could it be that God is using these visits to break my heart?  Perhaps.  However, could my heart truly be broken when I'm not doing the things that I should be doing to help those in need- that which really breaks His heart?  Could my heart truly be broken when I continue to live a selfish life?  Could my heart truly be broken when I continue to judge others?  There is so much brokenness and hurt in this world.  I pray that God will "show me how to love like you have loved me".  

It is also my prayer that God will "break my heart from what breaks yours".  

Continuing to give thanks...
#4457-#4482
-an encouraging visit with our friend in prison
-his safety
-his boldness to tell others about Jesus
-his desire to be transformed by the renewing of the Spirit
-my heart beginning to be broken


-friends getting together to play and celebrate a birthday

-eating without utensils!
-that his mommy is home from the hospital and is recovering

-his seriousness as he interviews his uncle over the phone for a Cadet badge

-how she had her bathing suit ready all day, waiting to go in her uncle's hot tub

-how she sings and dances all the time
-her microphone as she attempts to sing, "I am a C H R I S T I A N"

-splashing in the puddles
-catching rain drops on her tongue

-practicing for his speech

-being prepared to face the bugs that spring/summer has to offer

-how she was willing to play her saxophone in church (and what a wonderful job she did!!)

-celebrating Christian Education week at school
-fun activities at school all week
-celebrating Grandparents

-"games day"
-dress alike day (Jesse's not alone with his obsession)
-how his obsession has led to late nights, watching hockey, but also to a road trip with his father and an opportunity to bond, bringing memories that will last a lifetime!

-being inspired at the Women's Alive conference and hearing Carolyn Arends http://carolynarends.com
-meeting and getting to know such a beautiful Christian woman who works for Compassion Canada (www.compassion.ca)
-children being sponsored, and many lives being impacted


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Anna, which uncle is Curtis interviewing in that photo? It's a classic! I can picture him 15 years from now working big deals over the phone. :)

Elise

Anna said...

Oh, yes, it's a classic!! He was so serious, as he said to his Uncle Ed, "Thanks for your time." Uncle Paul says he's the new salesman for Vos Floral!!