Home

Sunday, May 23, 2010

"Dwell in Me, O Blessed Spirit"

"When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit...When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language"
(Acts 2:1-4,6).

Today we celebrated Pentecost and after doing a bit more research on Pentecost, this is some of the information that I found:

"Pentecost (or "the 50th day" in ancient Greek) is a holiday of Christianity commemorating the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles, fifty days after the resurrection. ...

The Spirit represents God as living and active in the world today. It signifies the fact that the Christian faith is not just about events that happened in the past, rather it concerns the present and the future. The Spirit is God's animating presence in the church, and indeed, in life itself. Hence, without its Spirit, the church is dead, and without the Spirit, all that is creative and wonderful in life itself ceases to exist. " (http://www.godweb.org/)

God is living and active. He has sent us the Holy Spirit, and it is my prayer that He will fill me with the Spirit, enabling me to do His work and further His Kingdom. Fill me with the Spirit, Lord, fill me.

"Dwell in me, O blessed Spirit! How I need Thy help divine! In the way of life eternal, Keep o keep this heart of mine.

Round the cross where Thou has led me, Let my purest feelings twine. With the blood from sin that cleansed me, Seal anew this heart of mine.

Let me feel Thy sacred presence; Then my faith will ne'er decline. Comfort Thou and help me onward; Fill with love this hear of mine.

Dwell in me, O blessed Spirit! Gracious Teacher, Friend divine! For the home of bless that waits me O prepare this heart of mine!" (Martha J. Lankton)

No comments: