Home

Friday, September 11, 2009

Refiner's Fire



"But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner's fire or a launderer's soap. He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver." Malachi 3:2,3
We very much enjoyed our days of camping this summer. A particularly fond memory of our camping trips is relaxing and having fun by the campfires. As I look at our fire pictures, I'm reminded of the words "refiner's fire." These words took on a whole new meaning for me a few years ago when a dear friend stated that Paul and I were going through the refiner's fire during our marriage difficulties. I see now, more than ever what she meant by those words. Both Paul and I (and our marriage) had to get rid of a lot of garbage in our lives. We were being put through the refiner's fire to be made more pure, just as gold and silver is made purer through the fire.
We are still in the process of being purified. Although our struggles were difficult, I rejoice that we have grown so much through those difficult times. God is not trying to destroy us in the fire, but rather to purify us and help us to become more like Him. I know that I have a long way to go, but I pray that the Holy Spirit will continue to work in my heart to be made purer, and to continue to get rid of the many impuritites in my life. It is my true desire to be set apart for my LORD.


Purify my heart
Let me be as gold and precious silver
Purify my heart
Let me be as gold,
pure gold
Refiner's fire
My heart's one desire
Is to be holy
Set apart for You Lord
I choose to be holy
Set apart for You my Master
Ready to do Your will
Brian Doerksen / 1990 Mercy/Vineyard Publishing

No comments: