Home

Friday, January 8, 2010

Peace

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (John 14:27).
The other night I watched the movie "Saving Sarah Cain". It's about a New York journalist who gets custody of her 5 Amish nephews/nieces after their mother dies. Although the movie was average with rather inconsistent accents, it certainly pulled a few heart strings. It also made me reflect on, and perhaps desire the simplistic, peaceful life of the Amish.

In the book, "Amish Peace", the author Suzanne Woods Fisher claims "you don't have to become Amish to make personal peace a reality." She also states that most of us wouldn't survive even one cold buggy ride on a winter day anyway! Although I have not read the book (yet), I was inspired by a quote given in the introduction (I was just perusing it on www.christianbook.com). The quote is from an Amish man ("Uncle Amos") who wrote for the Small Farmer's Journal. This is what he says to all of us who sometimes want to be Amish, "If you admire our faith, strengthen yours. If you admire our sense of commitment, deepen yours. If you admire our community spirit, build your own. If you admire the simple life, cut back. If you admire deep character and enduring values, live them yourself."

I don't want the peace that the world offers, but the real peace that only comes from my Lord and Saviour. I pray that I will seek Him and the peace that He offers. I pray that through Him, the many battles in my mind will cease. I pray that I will be able to "strengthen my faith, deepen my commitment, build my own community spirit, cut back in life and live out deep character and enduring values."

No comments: