Home

Monday, November 14, 2011

One Thousand Gifts (con't)

"Jesus said, 'Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives'"
(Matthew 5:9 TNIV).


Hey, Nicole, do you want to sit and cry with me? (sounds like fun, eh) Well that's what my daughter and I did yesterday as we watched this video sung by Mark Shultz. In fact that's what I did this past summer on our road trip listening to his whole CD, "The Best Of Mark Shultz". We finally changed the CD as I was a mess.



While watching the Remembrance Day ceremony on TV, it was the wreath from the Mothers of Soldiers that chocked me up. I can't imagine what it would be like to be a Mom having your son fighting in war. But that's what it's like now for many Moms, and what it was like many years ago during the World Wars.

We don't know what it's like to live in war, but many people around the world know and live in constant fighting.

Our parents remember what it was like during the war.

My mom still remembers the name of the German soldier who was in her village. He didn't want to be there (how hard that must have been too). He was kind and he would take my uncle by the hand and go get food.

She remembers hiding under the table when the Germans came barging into her house looking for her dad (he was hiding somewhere in their butcher shop).

My father in law remembers his mom getting shot AFTER the war was over.

I'm grateful that I don't have those memories, but I don't want to forget the many lives that have been risked in order to defend our country. Our parents remember getting liberated when the war was over- what a celebration that must have been. But, how tragic it was that so many lives were lost.
Let's not forget.

giving thanks...
#2097- #2120

-for the many lives that have been lost while trying to fight for peace
-for brave soldiers
-for the prayers going up on behalf of the many brave soldiers
-a moment of silent prayer with my boys while watching the Remembrance Day Ceremony
-Curtis' prayer: that Beppe was kept safe during the war

-school Remembrance Day assemblies

-future pastor
-confidence

-poppies, crosses, poems, and songs
-the whole school being divided with mixed grades to write letters to soldiers
-songs that make you cry
-songs that make you laugh and dance (not in front of others, though)
-tears that bond my daughter and I
-playing games with my boys
-Deborah- a patient shopper
-Deborah's little excited dance when the bus pulls in front of our house in the afternoon
-Curtis teaching Deborah hide and seek
-Nicole teaching Deborah her night time prayers
-Jesse teaching Deborah right from wrong
-a VERY successful school bazaar
-dinner treat from my mom for our whole family
-dinner treat from my in laws for the whole family celebrating his birthday
-75 years
-a father and a grandfather who's a godly, fun loving role model




No comments: